Whether you were trying to conceive for a while or you and your spouse are surprised with a pregnancy, I think we can all agree on one thing–pregnancy is an exciting and memorable time in a woman’s life.
So now that you are officially pregnant, congratulations! How great! You are carrying a new life inside you and 9 months later, that little life will completely change your life! That is why it is a good idea to think ahead and check out the list for what to do when you find out that you are pregnant. After all, you don’t know what kind of pregnancy this will be and planning ahead will help prepare you for your little one.
What to do when you find out you are pregnant:
1. Snap a selfie. When my husband and I found out that we were expecting, we took some photos on my phone. Now, when I look back at them, I remember the feeling and that day very well. You don’t have to share the photos with anyone, especially if it was a special moment between you and your spouse.
2. Find an Obstetrician. Now is a good time to start looking for an OB doctor to provide you with routine care throughout the pregnancy. They are also a great person to ask all the questions you have about carrying and birthing your baby. Some family doctors have OB training so your OB can become your child’s doctor after birth as well. However, if your pregnancy is more complicated or high-risk, I would recommend an OB versus a family doctor.
3. Start Reading! There is so much knowledge in books. I highly recommend reading throughout the pregnancy on how to stay healthy and fit and what vitamins and minerals you need to grow a little human. Research how your baby is formulating in your womb. The more you research, the more informed you will be about all the changes that are coming your way. A good book with loads of pregnancy information is What to Expect When You’re Expecting. It is relatively inexpensive and answers just about any question you may have about pregnancy!
4. Eat Healthy. Now that there is a little one growing inside you, they rely fully on you for nutrition so feed them well! Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins to ensure baby is getting everything he needs.
5. Find a workout routine. Being physically active is important throughout pregnancy for both mom and baby. Find a workout that works for you and is something you can stick to. Make sure it is a workout that is designed for pregnant women because some exercises may hurt your pregnancy. Stretches are also great for preparing for birth.
6. Download pregnancy apps. To make it more interesting and real, download apps that tell you how big your baby is and what is developing in your fetus that week. Some apps I used were What to Expect and BabyBump Pregnancy. There’s more out there. So do some pregnancy app hunting and see what you like best.
7. Take more photos! A fun thing to do when you’re pregnant is watch how your belly grows. Take monthly pictures to compare and save for memories later.
8. Decide on announcing. First, decide whether you want to announce that you are expecting and then decide on how you want to announce it. Pinterest has wonderful ideas on how you can announce your pregnancy.
9. Make a list. You will need so many different things for your new arrival. A good way to prepare is to make a list of all the things you will need for your baby.
10. Brainstorm baby names. Start thinking of what you want to name your baby. There are baby name books and websites that allow you to browse through baby names and their meanings. This is definitely a fun part of being pregnant!
Once again, CONGRATS on your wonderful news and blessings in the journey to motherhood!
*Post contains affiliate link.